What is carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas.
When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.
Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include Paralysis and brain damage and even death. Such long term effects occur because many people are unaware of unsafe gas appliances and subsequent gas leaks.
Be aware of carbon monoxide (CO):
This is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of oil, gas and solid fuels such as coal and wood
This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.